Sunday, August 19, 2018

Water and Earth, Prologue, scene 14 -- Beryl

Previous: Ancestors Table of Contents



"Dŵr, hi!"

"Huh? Oh, hi! uhm, Beryl, right?"

Beryl smiles quietly. "Yeah."

"Do you come to this store often?"

"Yeah, uhm, no, not really. Sometimes. Your parents said you'd be here."

"I needed to get some seals for my swimming goggles, or get some new ones."

"You're looking at scuba gear."

"Just dreaming. So, ... you came to talk to me or something."

"Is it okay?"

"I guess. What about?"

"Well, about," she bites her lip, "Ddaear."

"Ddaear? Well, of course." Water Princess puts the breathing regulator back on the shelf and gives Beryl her attention.

"We've been mates for a long time. Dai and Hefin and, uhm, Ddaear and I."

"He told me a little about you. You helped him overcome his shyness, he said."

"He was really shy when we first met him. Dancing was not cool, and he took a lot of teasing for it. Bullying, really. Somehow, he kept from being badly hurt, but we always worried."

"I have to say, I would have been as worried for the bullies."

Beryl laughs softly. "It took me a while to see that he was holding back. He had to use his strength to defend himself just once, and that pretty much put a stop to the bullying, but then everyone was afraid of him."

"Did the other guy survive?"

"The four of us went to hospital to visit them. They're friends, now."

"They."

"He's strong. He took three rugby players down and then made the others help get them safely in the ambulance."

"That sounds like something he would do."

"You're not afraid of him."

"He's a good person."

Beryl suddenly wraps her arms around Water Princess and hugs her tightly. "Keep him safe, okay?"

Embarrassed, Water Princess stiffens, then relaxes and returns the hug.

"Thanks. But it's not like we're getting married or anything."

"I know." They step back and look at each other, non-verbal understanding flowing between them.

"I've asked K-- uhm, Ddaear about things and he's explained. But I can see it between you. I'm a little jealous."

"Oh? Well, I guess so." Water Princesses smiles, embarrassedly. "He's easy to get a crush on."

"I have a huge crush on him. Had it for a long time. No, I'm hugely jealous. But I'd be scared to actually marry him."

"He told me about how you supported each other on your missions, and how you both got noes when you prayed about marrying. I feel like an outsider -- an intruder."

"You're not. Just from church and hearing about you, I can tell you'll be good for him. And I can tell I'll like you as a best mate-in-law."

They hug again.

"I'm putting pressure on you."

"No, you're actually answering some of my questions. I hope we can be friends. You do water ballet, too, right?"

"Yeah, a little."

"Want to practice with me?"

"I'd love to. I'll bet you could teach me a lot."

"We could teach each other. Can I have your mail address, too?"

"You have a hand-held?"

"Back home. Didn't want to carry it through customs. Dad has one."

"Tell me his." Beryl gets her hand-held communication terminal out. "By the way, he asked me to ask you to come back to the shop. He and Ddaear want your help with something."

"Well, I guess I should go. Can you come back with me, and we can keep talking?"

"I'd like that."



Table of Contents Next: Hefin


[JMR20190312: Backed up here: 
https://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.com/2019/03/bk-we-0-14-beryl.html
]

No comments:

Post a Comment

33209: Discovering the 6800 -- Parents and Polygamy

A Look at the 8080/TOC "Whoa, Merry, look who's here!" Jim said, sotto voce. He, Roderick, and I were at our lab table ...