Thursday, August 16, 2018

Water and Earth, Prologue, scene 13 -- Gwen

Previous: Talent Table of Contents



"I know you didn't want me to, but I explained to the Sunday School teacher that you're a little shy with me and want to go by code names."

"Oh, I don't know. It seems like it would be such a bother to everyone.

"I've talked with Beryl about it. Dai and Hefin know anyway, from basketball, and they've mentioned it to most of the rest, just in case you run into someone in town."

Water Princess actually pouts.

"It is so tempting to kiss that pout."

She laughs. "Okay, since you all went to the trouble, I'll come to your Sunday School this week. And maybe next."

As they approach a graveyard they have not yet examined, they see a young girl there ahead of them.

"Gwen!"

"You're up early."

"So are you two."

Water Princess smiles. "Did you come to meet us?"

"Mom said she heard you would be reading the stones here today. A lot of our people are here."

"And you thought you'd help. Cool." Earth Prince grins.

Water Princess's parents join them shortly, and for several hours they search the field for head stones and other markers together and record the information in their notebooks.

Earth Prince straightens up. "I don't see any more."

Water Princess asks, "Should we ask if we are done?"

Gwen looks puzzled. "Ask who?"

Water Princess smiles. "Who is in charge?"

"Oh. You mean ask God."

"Would you?"

"Sure." And Gwen says a simple prayer, asking if they are done.

Gwen looks serious as they wait for a moment. Then she smiles. "It feels like we're done."

Earth Prince and Water Princess and her parents nod in agreement.

"Should we go, then?" Water Princess's mother asks.

"Are you going to swim today?" Gwen looks hopeful.

Water Princess and Earth Prince look at each other, then check with Water Princess's parents, who shrug.

"I think I have time before work."

Water Princess nods agreement. "Do you want to swim with us?"

"Can you teach me?"

Earth Prince laughs. "You know how to swim."

"Not like you two."

Again, the prince and princess look at each other. Earth Prince raises his eyebrows questioningly.

Water Princess nods. "We should ask your parents."

"Mom said I should learn to swim like you two."

"But she hasn't told us we can teach you." Water Princess pats her on the back. "Let's go ask." She looks at her parents.

Her dad grins. "You three go have fun."

As they set off, Gwen has another question. "So are you two really the Water Princess and Earth Prince from the old stories?"

Water Princess snorts. "Who told you that?"

"It's what you call each other. And everyone says maybe you are them."

"Everyone?"

"Some of my friends. And my mom. But Dad laughs at her."

Earth Prince chuckles. "If we were, would we tell everyone?"

"It's a masquerade. We wanted to get to know each other, and I thought our names would get in the way."

"Why?"

"It's hard to explain. I'll tell you when I figure it out myself." Water Princess smiles.

"What do you think, uhm, Ddaear? It's so weird to call you that."

"When a princess speaks, it's hard to disagree with her." Earth Prince winks at Gwen before giving Water Princess a knowing look behind her back as he continues. "I'm pretty sure we'll have a chance to tell you all about it some day."

Water Princess raises her eyebrows.



Table of Contents Next: Pink Unicorns Or Purple 


[JMR20190312: Backed up here: 
https://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.com/2018/08/bk-we-0-13-gwen.html
]

No comments:

Post a Comment

33209: Discovering the 6800 -- Parents and Polygamy

A Look at the 8080/TOC "Whoa, Merry, look who's here!" Jim said, sotto voce. He, Roderick, and I were at our lab table ...