Tuesday, July 30, 2019

A Heathen in the Kingdom of Peace -- A Note from Jeremy



I suppose you'll think it goes without saying. Still, the parallels between the Union of Independent States and your United States of Columbia -- No? Oh. Amerigo. America. Whatever. Even though the parallels are there and are rather clear, they are not the same.

Xhilr is not your world.

There will be some who say the Kingdom of Peace is a proxy for some country on your Earth. For the sake of those who will cry Privacy! and Cultural Appropriation! -- It is not.

Springmoon and Mei had to think twice about it, but they decided we are far enough separated in spacetime that, by the point at which the privacy issues might matter, neither you nor we will have any reason to care that they are mentioned or known on your world. Hailey doesn't speak to me, but, when she last did, she told me she didn't believe in my fantasy worlds. I don't think her husband does either.

Names are at best approximately symbolic anyway. You would not recognize the actual name, in either the language of the Fishers (my language) or the language of the People of the Dawn (Springmoon and Mei's).

Of necessity, I borrow Joel's voice. I trust his translation. And since I have no use for money or other legal instruments from Earth, I assign Joel the copyrights in your world. I also trust him not to play intellectual property games with them, although he will only hurt himsel if he does.

[I've got a handle on the part about intellectual property games. Let's hope I get close on the translation.

My apologies about the images. Getting the text here is pretty difficult. So far, the images have not transferred well at all.

Oh. And I could mention a few translation issues here:

Most of the countries of Xhilr use hexadecimal numbering systems -- base sixteen. I'm using the common earth convention of A through F for the digits beyond nine:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, F, 10sixteen.

Even the time is usually hexadecimal, refer to the Xhilr clock on the right and the Earth clock on the left, below:


There are sixteen hours in a day. So, what we would call 3:00 PM would be A:00 (essentially) on Xhilr.

That makes the Xhilr hour roughly half again as long as what most of us call an hour on the earth. (We will ignore differences in rotation periods and in the entropy field.) Think of this as 90 minute hours.

I've chosen to call the sixteen divisions of the hour "long minutes". Work that out as 90/16, or about five and a half (5.625) earth minutes long.

And I've chosen to call the sixteen divisions of the long minute "short minutes". Short minutes work out to be about 21 seconds long.

A:BC would be about 11 x 5.625 minutes + 12 x 21.09375 seconds past the 5/8 of a day point that we call 3:00 PM, or about 4:06 PM on an earth clock.

I am essentially translating Jeremy's digital logs, comparable to chat, blog, and journal sessions, including the time stamps in the records. But I'm leaving out the cryptographic elements, since they provide no useful information to anyone on this earth. Can't access the timestamp servers, and what would we do with the proofs, anyway? -- Joel]




Backed up here: https://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.com/2019/07/bk-heathen-in-kingdom-of-peace-note-from-jeremy.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment

33209: Discovering the 6800 -- Parents and Polygamy

A Look at the 8080/TOC "Whoa, Merry, look who's here!" Jim said, sotto voce. He, Roderick, and I were at our lab table ...